Tuesday as Monday

Yeah…about yesterday…

I slept in. I also napped. 😆 Sunday started at 4:00 a.m. Lawyer Guy and I arrived at our assigned post along the Memorial Marathon route–Medical Station 41, which is 21.6 miles into the route. Just to the north of us was a HUGE water station sponsored by Devon Energy. Those folks go ALL out! Balloon sculptures. Signs. Food for runners. Water. Sucrose gel packs. Sponges. And a DJ. Who started playing at 6 a.m. Yes, seriously!

2013 Devon Memorial Marathon
(You can click on the photo to enlarge it. It’s not very good–camera phone in a hurry as I was running betwixt and between.)

We got our “camp” set up while waiting for FedEx to deliver our canopy, table, and supplies. About 7:00, the official medical personal arrived. In the meantime, we made friends with the course marshals (volunteers there to monitor the race), our security–a Cleveland County deputy, an Oklahoma City PD officer, two EMSA (ambulance service) paramedics in their “ASAP” – a mini-ambulance, along with a variety of EMTs and fire department personnel on bicycles. Our med station was staffed by a doctor and from two to four nurses or physical therapists.

LG, his office mate, and I were there as “Communications”–handled by area Ham radio operators. It was an amazing day and the runners have my respect!

We got home about 3:00 p.m. and both of us crashed until after 8:00. LG dashed out for Jersey Mike’s subs, we ate, and went back to sleep. I didn’t even log onto the computer. And I slept until almost 10 a.m. on Monday. Will I volunteer next year? Absolutely.

What about y’all? Do you have a favorite volunteer activity?

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Tuesday as Monday

Way to go to ou and LG! I went and watched the Country Music Marathon on Saturday…in the rain. Stood in the pouring down rain for almost 4 hours waiting for my brother. He finished in 3 hours 16 minutes. We then had to walk another mile back to the car…did I mention it was raining? He was freezing and we were both soaked. Still was fun to watch and cheer on all the runners and walkers. I’d volunteer next year for he expo before or race day.

I can’t imagine running or standing in the rain like that! (I’ve had to work in weather but doing it for fun? Nope! 😆 ) You’re a better sister than I, Gunga Din. And oooh. I bet volunteering at the expo would be fun!

Ha – I missed yesterday, too, Silver! Sounds like you enjoyed your marathon experience – one of these days, I need to sign up to volunteer (bet it’s a lot more fun that running the damn thing 😉 I have a friend who always does a 1:1 ratio (run one, volunteer one) in order to give back to the running community.

LIza, you are an awesome sister – 4 hours in the rain? And kudos to your brother for running in that (and a great finishing time, too).

That’s cool about your friend! We had 27K runners and almost 3K volunteers. It’s a HUGE undertaking. And it really was fun. I was amazed at how many of the runners thanked us as they ran by.*warm fuzzies*

3. Sounds like you had a blast. I don’t volunteer, per se. I just help out where I can when I can – like when the neighbor’s burn pile took off and took out a few acres. Or when the fire near Yuma last year meant evacuations. They needed help at the evacuation center, so I helped. Or when the library needed adults to corral kids at their summer picnic event. :shrug: I’m there when I’m needed – otherwise I’m in the background.

Like Superman. ;o)

ROFL

😆 Living “rural” presents a different set of volunteer situations, B.E. The main thing is, you don’t hesitate to step up to help. *passes you a red cape* 😉

On behalf of runners everywhere: Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I’m so slow and always at the back of the pack, I do my best to thank as many volunteers as I can. They’re a big part of what makes a race so amazing.

Please know you’re appreciated!

JB, we were thanked often. We stay until the last stragglers make it past, even though the Med tent has been stowed away. You never know when one of them might need help. Maybe you and Liza will come run the Memorial one day. And Janet, too, if she decides to stay with the marathoning! 😀