Connections

ShareTheBookLoveSomething really cool happened yesterday. I decided that I wanted a black skirt to wear at the book signing in Las Vegas. Normally, I don’t start planning a trip wardrobe until the night before when I start packing. But this is a quick trip and the majority of my luggage will be filled with table decorations, swag, and books. And my costume for the party Saturday night.

I’ll mostly be wearing jeans but I have this really cool pair of boots that would look awesome with a skirt. So…I needed a skirt. None of the ones I have are quite right with the jacket I want to wear. Consequently, this necessitated a shopping trip. The nearest “mall” is the open-air Outlet Shoppes. There are some awesome stores there, including Dress Barn. They have REALLY awesome clothes and if I, you know, *worked* for a living, I’d be in there all the time. So…that’s where I went to look for a black skirt.

I found a teal one, a camel one, and a dark brown on. Teal or camel would have worked but for some reason, I still wanted black. A wonderful clerk offered to help me look and voila! Found on that fit, was a great price, and so I checked out. While explaining my lack of fashions, because I work in either sleep pants and a tank or sweats and a tank, it came up that I’m a writer. Two clerks were there now and they wanted to know what I write. So I told them.

OMG! Sally Field moment! One of them has read the Moonstruck books and loves them! Her daughter reads them, too, so I ended up autographing some postcards and passing over bookmarks, etc. It was crazy! But soooooo cool.

Anyway, that’s a long story to say the most fun a writer has is when she connects with a reader, out of the blue, to talk books and characters and what’s next. There’s a moment of instant connection that resonates on both sides, but especially for the author. We tend to be solitary creatures. To discover that we’ve touched someone’s life is heady stuff! Much better than wine. Almost as good a steak. Okay. Kidding. Mostly. I love a good steak.

Anyway, when was the last time you connected with someone out of the blue? And as you know, I’ll be winging my way to Vegas tomorrow, to return late Sunday night. No post tomorrow and doubtful there is one on Monday unless I find wifi. I’ll be tweeting and FB’ing with updates and pictures. Especially of the knights. 😀 Have a great weekend, everyone! See y’all on the other side.

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Connections

1. How awesome is that. What a cool story, Silver. I’m so happy for you. =o)

Plus, Dress Barn is totally awesome. I found some really cute clothes there – when I like worked and junk, and needed cute clothes. Because, yeah, my outfits these days are sweats and tanks. Or sweats and fleecies – since it’s getting colder.

I’ll keep an eye for you on FB. Have a great trip and loads of fun. Stay safe. :hugs:

Watch The Only’s feed, too. I’ll try to share whenever she posts. She’s like the social media guru. 😆 Plus, she’s the official photographer of the con. 🙂

Yay for finding the right skirt!!! I haven’t bought myself new clothes in … I have no idea. If it weren’t for my mom passing me stuff she doesn’t like or randomly buying me things – my wardrobe would be empty!

Alas, I am not published so I can not connect that way but … there is a lady I’ve been friendly with, for the past 3ish years, in the BJD hobby and though we’ve commented on each other’s pictures and photostreams all that time, I never realized she is a fellow writer with MANY of the same opinions/views etc. until just recently. Like me, (and you 😉 ) she is also solitary and hasn’t shared her work with anyone but my courage (yes, it was very courageous of me to share chapters of my unfinished story on my blog … trust me!!!) convinced her to show me some of her writing. She not only has a whole lot of potential, she is my very first writing partner and now we share our ideas, thoughts and issues with writing. Making that connection has been a wonderful and fulfilling experience for me. Does that count?

Absolutely counts, Ban! Finding someone who shares your dreams and who understands what makes you tick is priceless! I’m so happy you’ve found a “critique partner.” My CP is a good friend as well as invaluable to my writing process. We’re there for each other when we get discouraged, stuck, angry, sad, frustrated…all the things writers go through.

If you can find a Dress Barn, go in! They carry all sizes, are reasonably priced for good quality and stylish clothes! I really wish I was “out and about” more so I could justify a new wardrobe. 😆 Somehow, though, getting spiffed up to go to Walmart just doesn’t quite cut it. 😉

3. Kimber-Michaela says:

Have fun and a safe trip! You what happens in winking!
    I am still working on my first novel, will get the END typed on it yet-lol
    Peeps have mentioned that some of my poems have really struck a nerve and
    hit that raw emotion they didn’t think others understood, one said that they might start writing their words down!

As a writer, that’s a huge compliment when people tell me my words moved them. I wrote a lot of poetry in college and my friends would grab me and say, “Write this memory!” So I’d write some prose for posterity…and their bottom drawers. 😆 But that’s okay. Finding words and sharing them is a gift. Enjoy yours!

4. Michelle says:

I am always floored by authors’ reactions to my crazed fangirl blubbering and gushing over their books. Every single one, no matter how successful or “big” they are, has taken time to thank ME, as a fan. Each time I have sent a personal note to an author about how her/his book(s) moved me, I have received a lovely note in return. It makes me WANT to continue to buy and read their books,

Safe travels and take a photo so we can see the skirt/boot combo, ok? 🙂

Trust me, Michelle, we LOVE the attention. I’m always flabbergasted when I hear from a fan and for about five minutes, I sit at my desk, bouncing and squeeing. It’s a BIG deal, no matter how well-known we might get. Y’all are a big part of the reason we keep putting our words out into the world. Thank you! ❤

5. bookwyrm217 says:

That’s awesome- about the skirt and esp that they read your books!! How cool is that! Have a great time this weekend. I wish I was going with you. I want pics!