First Friday Forensics – Blood Types

Police LinesUhm…my bad. I forgot that I’d planned on doing a blog about forensics on the last Friday of the month. I blanked that out last Friday. I blame it on the cough medicine. But…since I am the owner, curator, writer, and chief bottle washer of this blog, I get to change the rules! So now we’re going to do forensics on the FIRST Friday.

Today, I’m going to talk a little about how forensics work in the Penumbra world–specifically, about vampires, DNA, and blood typing. From SEASON OF THE WITCH, and Sade’s POV:

If people had known about vampires back in the day, there would have been no need to develop DNA testing. A vampire’s palate can’t be fooled. Not when it comes to blood and genetic typing. Her godfather, Mathias, knew from the barest taste of her blood that his accountant, William Marquis, was her father. That her mother, Tracie, had been the mistress of King Oberon at the time of her birth didn’t help matters. Of course, the King and Queen of Glitter Land weren’t satisfied with the outcome. Oberon and Titania, the most royal of the royal Seelie Court. Faeries. Sade’s life would be so much simpler without the fae mucking about in it.

We won’t mention how Mathias came to taste Sade’s blood when she was a baby. He claims it was for protection. I know it’s because he’s a control freak. Shhh. 😉

Anyway, having “worked” a few crime scenes back in the day, forensics fascinate me. There are whole classes on blood–blood splatter, blood typing, blood testing (for drugs and alcohol). And maybe because I’m adopted and had to bow out of those simple DNA tests in biology (there was one I still remember about determining eye color–my dad’s were brown, my mother’s green, and my brother’s green–mine are blue…hrmmmm) because I had no bloodlines to compare, I find the study interesting. Positive and negative. A, B. AB, O… You can follow THIS LINK for a fairly easy to understand overview and population clusters. And THIS LINK discusses blood donor compatibility and genetics.

But what does this have to do with vampires in the world of Penumbra? Vampires are blood snobs. Type O positive (O+) is like the beer of bloods, with O- like craft beers. The majority of humans have O+ blood pumping in their veins. Curious as to what would be the Dom Perignon of blood to a vampire? AB-. That’s the rarest blood type. And no, I wouldn’t do that to Sade. 😉 Despite her sterling qualities, she’s plain ol’ O negative. Hey, I had to give her a bit of flavor. shifty-eyes-ani2faster

By now, y’all are probably sitting out there wondering how warped I am to sit here thinking about this stuff. I confess, I do. The forensics behind my books might never appear in print, beyond generalizations, but to me, they make the world more real…and realistic. As a reader, I appreciate a writer who understands the intricacies of their world. As a writer, I’m more comfortable if I know the…well, for lack of a better word, the physics of the world I’ve created.

So, happy first Friday! Have a great weekend. Stay warm. Read books. Watch movies. And come visit on Monday with my special guest, Cathy Tully.

This entry was posted in Craft, Writing Life and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to First Friday Forensics – Blood Types

Fascinating! And when you read your work, you know that the world you create is based in science – I’m so far from a scientist it’s ridiculous, but I know enough to know that your world is based on reality! The sign of a great writer!

TGIF

I’m so glad you think that, Janet! Even though it’s Urban Fantasy, I want the fantasy to be…real. I want it to feel normal to humans and the magicks to coexist. The magic of the supernatural races has to make sense in the human realm, as far as I’m concerned. 🙂

My goal is to get non-paranormal/UF readers to buy into the world and read it because they like the characters and the story.

2. TGIF!!!
    With the unsettling events this wk at the day job, I was like come on already.
    My mom would have loved to have heard about your forenics background, we had aclose family friend who was an ME. That is my she loved Robb/Cornwall and the true crime.
    I appreciate as a reader, that the writer did their homework so to speak, explain why, where and what is going on with the characters. I especially enjoy in the military/black ops stories, that the writer went to actual sources and in some cases took a walk in there shoes. I also have heard that critics will tear apart a story/author if its not true so to speak.
    Sorry Silver got off rambling again lol
    Stay warm, high 30’s here today then in the 70’s manna????
    Have a good weekend =)

You get to ramble, Kimber! Glad you’ve survived the week. I do a lot of research, especially with anything military. I have an in-house expert but even so, I still call in favors from old friends and pick their brains to make sure I get the details right. Have a great weekend!

3. Interesting and totally logical. See? That’s what I love about your books. You take something unbelievable and give it believability. Very cool. =o)

Most likely I’ll be watching the Olympics this weekend while I read and then slipping some writing in. I’m so close to being done with this that it’s making me lazy, though. I took as many days off in the past week as I did the whole previous month. Bleh, I need to get some gumption.

I’ve done my job then, B.E. 😀 I can’t get very excited about the Olympics this year. How sad is that? I feel so sorry for the Jamaican bobsled team. I don’t think their gear has shown up yet. How the hell did the Russians LOSE their bobsled and suitcases?!? Seriously?!? 😛

Very interesting blood type info. I’m plain old O- too. Love how vamps classify blood based on premium alcohol. lol

I am totally with you in this Silver – 2/3 of the research I do may never end up in my stories either but in order for a world to feel ‘real’ I need to do it anyway. Assigning blood types is something I would do myself and I’ve always been enthralled with forensics and science too. See, I knew there was a reason I loved the worlds you create !!!

PS: I’m quite comfortable with my ‘beer-blood’ means I won’t be highly sought after *giggle*