Wednesday Words – From Suspense to Shifters

mobile phone and booksI’m still reading contest entries and can’t talk about them. However, I also got sucked in by Allison Brennan’s new Max Revere series. There’s a prequel novella that I enjoyed but the first full-length novel, NOTORIOUS, is glorious! I love Max. I want to hit her upside the head with a clue-by-four about half the time but that’s part of her endearing personality. πŸ˜† This little snippet had me splorting Diet Coke when I read it. She’s referring to Det. Nick Santelli, of the Menlo Park Police Department.

Damn. He knew he was hot. A hot cop.

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

She almost laughed out loud. Yes, hot cops were her vice. ~Max Revere in Notorious, Allison Brennan

And yeah, Nick is definitely worthy! *fans face* Warning NOTORIOUS is a suspense novel with a touch of romance, not a romantic suspense. It’s a damn good read!

I really need to stay away from blogs that list books for sale. SEVEN YEARS by Dannika Dark caught my eye. It was $.99 cents at the time and I thought it sounded interesting. Yeah. About that? Couldn’t put the dang thing down! This is a paranormal romance with Shifters, which are different from werewolves. I loved her voice. The following are a few of the snippets that caught my eye.

He shook his head. “I forgot to buy cotton balls.” He set the brown bottle of peroxide on the washer.

Before I could make a suggestion, Austin peeled off his shirt, wadded it into a ball, and doused it with peroxide.

I was pretty sure I would never buy another cotton ball again if this was the alternative solution.” ~Lexi Knight [heroine] in SEVEN YEARS by Dannika Dark

People say time machines don’t exit, but they do. They’re your friends, and being around them takes you right back to that place in time you had long since put away. ~Lexi Knight

The price has gone back up to $3.99 for the Kindle edition. There is a paperback available too. I’d buy it in print if I didn’t read Kindle. Austin Cole is a swoon-worthy hero and Lexi is a first-class, sassy heroine.

And as soon as I finished SEVEN YEARS, I had to buy SIX MONTHS, which is the second book in the series. I found this snippet highlight worthy.

After eating eleven of her homemade peanut butter cookies with macadamia nuts, I could testify on her behalf in a court of cookie law. ~April Frost [heroine] talking about Lexi’s baking skills

There’s just something about The Court of Cookie Law that makes me smile!

So those are the words for this Wednesday. I’m here all day, working. I have three chapters and a synopsis to get polished. I want SWEETHEART headed to NYC by Friday. That said, any good words y’all have read? Share! I mean, it’s not like I don’t have anything to read. shifty-eyes-ani2faster

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Wednesday Words – From Suspense to Shifters

Great lines – thanks for sharing. Nothing here – still trying to get through a novel I’ve been reading for a month (it’s good, but I go to bed to read and can’t keep my eyes open). Hey, a little self promotion – since you loved this line from The Jane Project so much (with the preceding line so it’s not so out of context):

Once in the basement, he gripped her elbow and steered her to the right. She wondered if personal trainers had homing devices as he marched her directly to the door of the gym. Perhaps the pheromones of testosterone mixed with the tang of perspiration called to him like potatoes frying in hot oil called to her? The Jane Project

I need to find me some Allison Brennan – it’s been far too long since I read anything of hers!

OMG! I DO love that line from The Jane Project.

Readers, I know many of you read Janet’s Blog and therefore her Sym’s Stories where she’s posting her serialized novel. Go forth and read it! Here’s the link to CHAPTER ONE!

And yes, Janet, you definitely need to read more Allison! πŸ˜€

2. I loved Notorious! (And yes, Janet, you need to read this.)

I laid out a scene this week where Jo encounters a genie she rescued years ago. I didn’t intend it, but somehow in the course of a few paragraphs, he morphed into Harry Houdini. Not sure how I’ll use that yet.

As for reading… I read Jaws again. There’s a big spoiler here if you’ve only watched the movie, but it’s a great scene.

The fish broke the water fifteen feet from the boat, surging upward in a shower of spray. Hooper’s body protruded from each side of the mouth, head and arms hanging limply down one side, knees, calves and feet from the other.
    In a few seconds while the fish was clear of the water, Brody thought he saw Hooper’s glazed, dead eyes staring open through his face mask. As if in contempt and triumph, the fish hung suspended for an instant, challenging mortal vengeance.

Great words this week, Silver. Now go. Make awesome words of your own. Shoo.

I haven’t read the book and mostly ignored the movie. I may have to read the book now. AWESOME snippet, B.E. And Harry Houdini as a djinn? How freaking crazypants-awesomesauce is that idea?!? Yes, yes you must use this in Djinn 3!

I’ve gotten through email and working through social media. Then I’ll get my next cup of coffee and get to work. I think Iffy has settled down enough to think about cowgirls. πŸ™‚

• Janet says:

Hell, yes, to Harry Houdini, B.E. – love that πŸ™‚ And so glad to hear you’re working on Djinn 3 since you implied you wouldn’t!

Love that jaws snippet – yikes, that was one scary movie, still freaks me out!!

Thanks for the shout-out, Silver – I appreciate that πŸ™‚

Dang it lady, now I have two more samples on my Kindle … πŸ˜‰ How have you been? I saw the adorable pic of your grandson and you on FB ❀
    This has not exactly been my winter as far as staying healthy but I'm hoping I've put the bumpy road behind me now that it MIGHT be starting to warm up *fingers, toes and eyes crossed*

Dang, girl! You need to get well. After all the stress of moving during the holidays, can’t say I’m surprised but here’s hoping with spring comes healthier times! I think every one of you have been sick and then it all rolls onto you!

And sorry. NOT! I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Dark’s books. Allison has long been a staple on my TBR and Keeper shelves. ❀ you!