Okay, as promised, this is my follow-up to the Super Bowl. In other words, this is my assessment of the 2020 crop of Super Bowl commercials. There were approximately 50 ads aired. I remember 9 of them. In the order they aired, these are the ones I made note of because I was either WTF? or laughingly entertained by them.
1. Walmart “Out of this World.” I have no idea if that’s the actual title but the add showed a plethora of otherworldly beings dropping in to pick-up groceries at Walmart. It was fun, hip, and nostalgic all at the same time. Lawyer Guy and I had a blast naming the movies/TV shows those beings appeared in.
2. Rocket Mortgage “The Comfort of Home.” Again, my title. This one starred Jason Mamoa who is hotHotHOT! It also showed him “relaxing” at home by “stripping down.” His muscles, that is. He has a great sense of humor. It got a gigglesnort out of me.
3. Snickers “The World is out of Sorts.” You really need to catch the “preview” commercials but basically, Snickers is going to fix the stupid in the world by digging a big hole and dropping in a giant Snickers. I laughed. A lot. Especially at the end.
4. Hyundai “Pahk the Cah.” Three native Bostonians, Boston accent in full bloom, amazed at a Hyundai Sonata “pahkin'” itself. Big Papi’s cameo at the end is priceless. According the “experts,” this ad was the most highly rated. It was good but not that good IMH.
5. Verizon 5G “What 5G Won’t Do.” OMG! Cold chills and the sniffles. It’s a powerful commercial. If you missed it, look it up. it’s on YouTube.
6. Heinz Ketchup “Find the Goodness” to the tune of “I’ll Be There.” Four groups/families in very different places looking to eat… The song nostalgia added to the humor.
7. Cool Ranch Doritos. See below…
8. Toyota Highlander “Go Where You’re Needed. Okay. I drive a Highlander so this might be a sentimental favorite, but the mom driving the Highlander”? She. Is. AWESOME! I must Google Cobie Smulder, who is driving.
9. Jeep “Groundhog Day.” The Super Bowl was played on Groundhog Day. Bill Murray starred in the iconic movie of the same name. This one was a close second for best commercial in my book.
All that said, I had to go with Doritos “The Cool Ranch” featuring Lil Nas X and Sam Elliott, along with the rapper’s version of “Old Town Road.” Watch for the moustache. Just sayin’…
And the winner is:
What was your favorite commercial? Now, go have a great weekend!