I don’t have a picture of this particular treat to share. Frankly, I haven’t made it. Yet. And the batch I scarfed down was a treat from a friend. And yeah, I didn’t stop eating long enough to think about taking a pic to use. I suspect there’s a few of you out there who want to try this if you don’t already have a recipe in your box. It’s got to totally be a Southern thing but also a hit for anyone who likes bacon!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 16-inch x 111-inch tray yields apprximately 40 pieces
1 1/2 sleeves saltine crackers
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 lb Bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a greased or sprayed rimmed baking sheet (16″ x 11″) and cover with foil or parchment so it also comes up the sides.
2. Chop the bacon into bits and cook in a pan until crispy. Drain on some kitchen paper, pat down to remove as much grease as possible, then set aside.
3. Put down a single layer of crackers to cover the pan
4. In a saucepan, add the sugar and butter and heat until it has all melted and begins to boil. Be careful because this mixture is HOT. Give it a stir and when the syrup is boiling, continue to boil for 3 full minutes.
5. After 3 minutes, pour the mixture, CAREFULLY (It is hot remember!) over the crackers and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the bacon all over. Allow to completely cool then break in to pieces.
I have no tips though I’ve heard a rumor that there’s a version with melted chocolate chips,* for those of you who are adventurous. Me? I’m just happy with the sweet and the bacon. I’m not the only one. Celina Monaghan is a Texas girl and EMT. You can bet every time she walked in with a box of this, her ambulance crew thought she was the bomb. Now, after mistaken identities, a harrowing experience involving a Blood Moon, and other mayhem, she jonly whips some up for her mate, Rhys Kendric. You can explore their story in BLOOD & FIRE, a Moonstruck Wolf novel. This book is currently going wide and is available (or will be soon!) at a variety of online booksellers. You can find your favorite store by clicking on Books2Read, the title or either cover pic. What about y’all? Are you bacon fans?
*Okay, I KNOW there is a version that’s chocolate and pecans (I have that recipe too because this stuff really is crack) and it’s the bomb. But I’m tellin’ ya, the bacon version is pretty darn tasty! Can you say Superbowl snack?
I never really got the sweet bacon thing. There must be something to it because I grew up eating bacon & jelly sandwiches, but candied bacon? Nope, not there yet. Just as well… It’s not like I need anymore sweets in my life. Yay for having super yummy treats for you, though. I’ve seen on various baking championships where they use chocolate and bacon together. Maybe use this recipe and drizzle chocolate over it. Two addictive flavors in one snack.
Like with all your other books, I LOVE this one. If you’re talking crack, you’ve got it right there. Reading crack. =o)
Awww. Thank you. I wish everyone thought my books were the good kind of reading crack. 🤣 And yeah, candied bacon is not my deal either, as a rule but bacon crumbles on what is essentially toffee? Yuppers. I’m there and I am considering sprinkling bacon crumbles on the chocolate crack candy that I also have the recipe for, with pecans. Or peanuts. Or…yeah. I need to lay off the sweets too. Which is a bummer. Also, bacon and JELLY? 🧐
Yep. Bacon and jelly on toast. Mom turned us kids onto those. I think she does grape jelly, but I like strawberry on mine. Mm Mm Mmm.
Well…alrighty then! Enjoy! I’d have to do the grape. I’m a grape jelly kinda gal because strawberries make me break out. I know. Sad. LOL