The Art of Letter Writing

notebookHow many of you remember life before the internet? Before email and smartphones and texting? Back in those dark ages, people wrote letters. Remember the song “Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah”? About the kid at camp? Yeah. That one. I wrote home every other day from camp.

Remember Pen Pals? I had one in England and one in the Netherlands. And a couple here in the US. In college, I wrote home. And my dad wrote me. Long, newsy letters on both sides. Even after I got married, and the birth of computers and the beginnings of email, I wrote letters.

What brought this up? A comment from one of my oldest friends several years ago. “No one writes letters anymore. Real letters on paper and mailed in envelopes with stamps.” I was thinking about her this week. I…uhm…*hangs head*…I forgot her birthday. I had the card bought. I had reminders on my phone, my electronic calendar, and even my wall calendar that’s paper and everything. But I still managed to NOT sign the card, stick a quick note in it, address the envelope and mail it out in time to get there for her special day. Yeah, I’m the worst friend ever. I know.

So I thought about what I could do to make it up to her. And I decided to write her a letter. A real letter. On paper. Not typed. Handwritten. She may hate me for that. My handwriting sucks, but there ya go. I’m going to fill up a couple of pages with things going on in my life, my thoughts on being our age, and the changes in the world around us. I’m going to rediscover the art of letter writing. And you know what? I think I’m going to enjoy it.

When was the last time you wrote a “real” letter–with words spelled out fully, on paper, with a pen (or a pencil), in your own handwriting? If it’s been awhile, you might consider writing one to an old friend. Just because.

And because I’m evil. Here. Have Allen Sherman singing his hit song from 1963.

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Art of Letter Writing

1. Eh, the Hubs was singing that the other day. I don’t remember why – something to do with rain, I think.

I wrote the Kid a real letter the other day – a whole page – to put in with something else I sent her. Other than stuff like that, no. I don’t write snail mail letters. It’s easier on my hands to type and after about a page of hand-writing something, my penmanship goes to hell. I wrote a lot of letters when I was in college and then a few from the various points I’ve moved to over the years, but once my mom got email – and long distance got easier – I stopped writing and just call. =o)

Have fun with your letter.

See? I HATE the telephone. I’m an emailer, texter, etc. I get “writer’s cramp” too but for Toy? I’ll make an exception. I’m still working on it but I need to get it finished and in the mail. 😆

Oh, and the daffodils? They don’t need a bed. Just sayin’. You can plant them in the yard. They come up and go away before you ever have to mow. 😛

• I only talk to my mom and the Kid on the phone these days, but they’re really the only people I’d write hard copy letters to anyway.

Oh no, I have to have a bed. Just call me the obsessive gardener. I moved the lilac and the myrtle because they were just sticking up at random spots in the yard. And I know just where I’d put one, but maybe next year. After the plants arrive for these other new beds, I’m taking a break. LOL

2. Kimber-Michaela says:

This brought a 🙂 I don’t do many letters any more- but I try to send Cards ( just because) other then a special event. It makes me feel good to get a message that my card brighten their day especially my beautiful friend going thru chemo. I know if brightens my day to get something snail mail! But in our fast pace lives, email/text sometimes is at least to know you thought of them. I have been writing more on paper before putting it in Word, that counts right, lol Thanks for great topics and kick ass stories Silver

Sent from my Sprint phone

Silver James wrote:

> a:hover { color: red; } a { text-decoration: none; color: #0088cc; } a.primaryactionlink:link, a.primaryactionlink:visited { background-color: #2585B2; color: #fff; } a.primaryactionlink:hover, a.primaryactionlink:active { background-color: #11729E !important; color: #fff !important; } /* @media only screen and (max-device-width: 480px) { .post { min-width: 700px !important; } } */ WordPress.com Silver James posted: “How many of you remember life before the internet? Before email and smartphones and texting? Back in those dark ages, people wrote letters. Remember the song “Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah”? About the kid at camp? Yeah. That one. I wrote home every other day”

Writing on paper then transposing to Word counts! *nods* Absolutely! And how sweet of you to send cards. That’s a terrific idea and I bet it really does brighten up people’s days, especially those who are ill or shut-in. Glad to have you here, Kimber-Michaela! Glad you like the stories. I try. 😉

Hmmm, on the one hand I love to write – fill out forms, outline, jot notes, get special pens and it is artistically pleasing … on the other, I hate it. I’ve never been one to appreciate cards and I never send them and much as I like my handwriting, I’m super picky, which means, if I make a mistake I have to crumble the whole darn thing up and start over. THIS is why I never get anything done longhand. If it weren’t for the computer, I’d never write to anyone, and I’d never have gotten past a first chapter in any story I’ve ever attempted. (I’m in love with the delete and insert buttons)

I do leave little notes and doodles in my girl’s lunch boxes though, does that count ?

Absolutely counts, Ban! I remember putting those little “love notes” in The Only’s lunch. Your girls are lucky. 😀

And we won’t discuss my handwriting. It’s….I gave up and included a typed copy, too. For translation purposes. 😆

Does writing a thank you note count? If not, I couldn’t tell you the last time I wrote an actual letter to someone.

5. Kimber-Michaela says:

Ban I laughed at your make a mistake crumple it up, I was like that growing up, my mom got so mad at me for using more notebook then she thought I needed to use, I wanted it to look real neat.
    I have grown out of that habit-lol