Happy Book Birthday, Season of the Witch!

halloweenAnd Happy Halloween, too! With witches, vampires, fae, gargoyles, and werewolves, what better day for SEASON OF THE WITCH to arrive! Today is set aside for some tricks and a lot of treats! The party will be here and on my Facebook Page, too. Go like it if you haven’t already.

SOTW 680Here’s some fun facts about SEASON OF THE WITCH.

1. This book was my first National Novel Writing Month project. Yes, I completed the first 50K words. And then I added another 40K and rewrote it. About ten times. πŸ˜†

2. Sade Marquis was created as a character in a PBeM RPG. What the heck, you ask? Play By eMail Role-Playing Game. I admit I fell in love with her and as she continued to evolve, I added characters to her circle, gave her a serious backstory, and a man strong enough to accept her, flaws and all.

3. The original manuscript (after the 10 rewrites, πŸ˜‰ ) got me an agent and went to a lot of different editors. It wasn’t ever quite right, even after more rewrites, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. πŸ˜€

4. I’ve dreamed about these characters and picked out the actors who would play them, if a movie is ever made, based on those dreams.

So…let’s party! Do you have questions about the book, characters, series? Ask away! One lucky (or unlucky *bwahaha* commenter will get an autographed print copy of the book, a digital copy in the version of the winner’s choice, a cool bookmark, and other nifty swag! I’ll also be giving away fun stuff on Facebook so be sure to check out my page! Talk it up, review it, mark it to read on Goodreads, and add it to your wish list.

And now for the commercial. BUY THE BOOK! And the links: AMAZON KINDLE | TRADE PAPERBACK

Have I mentioned that y’all absolutely rock my world? I love writing books that you enjoy reading. Oh! Want another excerpt? Go visit BLOGGING BY LIZA. It’s a good one. πŸ˜‰

This entry was posted in Books, Writing Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Happy Book Birthday, Season of the Witch!

YAY!!! So excited for you, Silver. And on this, the eve of NaNoWriMo, so inspired by your story of SOTW!!! You believed in these characters, this story, yourself – and now look, SOTW is about to take off!! Truly, INSPIRATIONAL!! Thank you!!!

One question – did The Only do the cover for this? Looks great!!

Only does all my covers. πŸ˜€ She’s amazing! We “shop” for images and then she takes our vision, blends it all together, ensures it fits the “brand” and produces amazing covers for me! I’m sooo lucky to have her. Even if I only get the family rate. πŸ˜† But the money all goes into their house fund so it’s cool.

I’ll be keeping track of your progress on NaNo! πŸ˜€

2. SQUEE! I can’t wait to read it! :snoopydances:

I’m trying to envision how a RPG would work via email. I’m a big D&D geek from way back (let’s not say how ‘way’), so I get the RPG part, but how do you do it through emails? That seems like it would take forever.

I’m ready to go on NaNo tomorrow. Here’s hoping this year’s masterpiece does as well for me as Penumbra will do for you. =o)

There was a Yahoo group. The mods maintained a separate website with character bios and settings and the basic back story of the various groups. It used the world of Anita Blake as a template though with all original characters and was set in New Orleans. Players would post their part of a scene to a thread and then people would respond. Some threads were slower than others but it came at a time when I was struggling with my writing and it opened up things for me–including exposure to NaNoWriMo. There was a whole series of “God Winks” involved getting me where I am today.

And yes, NaNo opens a whole world of possibilities! πŸ˜€

3. sandye52 says:

What a fabulous day for the release of Season of the Witch, Congratulations! πŸ˜ƒ I’m so looking forward to reading it. I love all your “magickal” creatures, how do you determine their characteristics and capabilities? Have a wonderful day celebrating! πŸŽƒ

Thanks, Sandy! One of these days, I’ll get the “wiki” finished and put up, which gives insight to all the races and some of their…traditions. πŸ˜†

I’ve drawn on some preexisting lore for the various races–vampires sleep during the day and have trouble with sunlight, for instance. I’ve made werewolves more…insular. Caleb is the exception to the rule, since he wasn’t raised within the pack. The fae, I draw strongly on Irish traditions. Gargoyles I sort of made it up as I went along and the same goes with the dragons. πŸ˜† Good question! πŸ˜€

Happy Book Birthday!!! So excited to read SOTW!!!

5. Kelly D. says:

Congrats, Silver! This one has been a long time coming – I remember when you were writing SotW!

You’ll be surprised at how much it has changed since those days! Like you, it’s grown up, graduated, and become all real and stuff. πŸ˜‰

I sort of miss those days because ToC really jump-started my imagination and gave me the basis for Sade. And I miss Keiran.

• Kelly D. says:

Me too. Have you heard from Keiran at all in the last couple years? I often wonder how he, wife, and baby are doing.

The last I heard, they were still in England and baby was growing into a toddler. He and Jamie seemed very happy. He left a comment on my post back on my birthday so…almost a year now. I emailed him after but never got a reply.

Yay – the day is finally here!!! So happy for you Silver, you have no idea πŸ˜€ Hope you have a wonderful Halloween, though I suspect it already is πŸ˜‰

7. bookwyrm217 says:

GOT IT!!!!! (Now to find time to read it! Sigh.)

I know! I have so many books on my Kindle that it’s threatening to go on strike until I get some read! We won’t discuss my physical TBR pile. It’s under avalanche warning. πŸ˜›

And thanks! I hope you enjoy it. *chews nails*