Werewolves are the New LBD on TV

Nathaniel's wolfLBD = Little Black Dress. You know what that is, right? That one outfit that is sort of one-size-fits-all-occasions that every smart woman has hanging in her closet. Men used to be lucky when it came to fashions–a black suit, a sport coat, slacks, and a shirt could take them through most events. Well, and jeans for the truly casual moment.

For a long time, publishing said vampires were dead. Go ahead and laugh. There’s a pun in there. But someone forgot to tell TV. And now there’s been a surge in supernatural shows, especially shows about wolves or with a wolf/wolves as main characters. In fact, on the non-“Big Three” networks, there’s been a surge of supernaturally-themed shows.

As an author of such fare, I’m happy. As a reader of the genre, I’m happier still, even though it clogs up my DVR. Both of them. I have one in the bedroom and one in my office. Works great when there’s a conflict as I can only record two shows in the same timeframe. Monday is now totally crowded! And Tuesday isn’t much better. Anyway, we’re talking TV today–supernaturally speaking. Here’s the list of new and old favorites I’ve tagged to watch:

Fox:
Sleepy Hollow (though the two-hour finale aired last night)
Almost Human (love the human/android cop buddy basis)

CBS:
Intelligence (okay, more SciFi than supernatural but any guy with a computer chip in his head who can access the internet is pretty spooky in my book 😉 )

SyFy:
Lost Girl (I love this gritty show about Fae)
Haven (based on a Stephen King short story, and a combination of supernatural/scifi)
Bitten (based on the Kelley Armstrong books that I haven’t read. Yet. This series just started. The second episode airs Friday.)

CW:
The Originals (a spin-off of The Vampire Diaries) about vampires and werewolves in New Orleans.

ABC:
Agents of SHIELD

I keep thinking there are others out there I watch but can’t remember. There are other supernatural shows I don’t watch. The aforementioned Vampire Diaries, Arrow (though I might should look into that one again), Beauty and the Beast, Supernatural, Being Human, Orphan Black, Dracula (didn’t make it through the first episode), Grimm (watched the 1st two seasons then lost interest), True Blood (not even Joe Manganiello could keep me around after the first couple of seasons), and a few more. I found a list HERE.

So I want to know what your favorite supernatural series is, and what book/series would you like to see made into a TV series?

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Werewolves are the New LBD on TV

1. I don’t watch a lot of supernatural TV shows, even though I read a lot of supernatural books. I think I just prefer my own imagination in those cases. I never did get into Buffy. Caught a couple episodes of Angel, but meh. I did watch the majority of Charmed, but that was because it was in reruns during my usual TV time. I caught an episode of Supernatural and it looked interesting, but too far along in the plot arc to get involved. I watched one episode of Grimm – that seemed okay. And I watched a couple of Being Human. I really liked the werewolf character there, but the vampire left me cold. (pun intended)

I’d love to see your books turned into a TV series, Silver, because then people would buy more and you could write more. Same with Jen Lyon’s Wing Hunter Slayers (which I always secretly hope will be resurrected in print.) And of course, I want JB Lynn’s series to be on TV (both of them). =o)

I’d love to see both Jen’s and JB’s books on TV…or a movie! And, yeah, mine, too! I think every author has that dream. I didn’t watch Buffy until it was in syndication. 😆 And I think storytelling and special effects have finally caught up with the genre. I have a tendency to check out a show and then loose interest. So far, LOST GIRL has been the main one to hold me season to season. And HAVEN. 😀

OK, you know I’m not a supernatural fan – so I don’t watch any of these shows, nor am I interested in any that premier. BUT, I do want to tell you that HAVEN is filmed here! A mere 20 minutes from us in Lunenburg, NS! So when you’re watching, know that the scenery is what I see all the time 🙂

OMG! I want to come for a visit now! I love the scenery in the show. I figured it was filmed in Maine. Good to know it’s actually NS. 😀 And yeah, I know you aren’t. But you still hang around me and for that I’m grateful!

3. Michelle says:

I fell in love with BBC America’s “Being Human” and “Hex” a few years ago. The US remake of “Being Human” was not as good as the original. (Are they ever?) I prefer paranormal to remain more on the dark side, with a good balance of wry humor and the Brits seem to have the perfect formula. My ultimate favorite vampire shows are “older” and one only aired for one season – “Kindred: The Embraced” was promising as an ensemble cast, but it never found its audience. The other show was “Forever Knight,” a Canadian show that used to air at the wee hours of the morning when I was in college, but had a Vincent/Katherine “Beauty and the Beast” unrequited love that was bittersweet.

I loved the Southern Vampire series and was curious to see how HBO would translate Charlaine Harris’ work. I like the first couple of seasons of “True Blood,” but not even weekly doses of gorgeous nude men are enough to keep that show going. It jumped the shark a while ago and I’ll be watching to see how they end it. None of the other vampire (or werewolf) shows have struck me as “must see TV,” although my one friend swears that if I had started watching “Once Upon a Time,” when it first aired, I’d be hooked.
    I’ve been all-vampired-out for several years and don’t even read vampire novels, unless they’re part of the “Black Dagger Brotherhood” series.

I’ve always gravitated toward animal shifter and would love to see Shelly Laurenston’s Pride and Pack series made into mini-series or cable TV series. They have the potential of being funny, snarky and super sexy.

But, have you seen the trailer for “I, Frankenstein” starring Aaron Eckart? Holy monster hotness, Batman!! http://youtu.be/sCUZd1iuq3o

HEX! YES! I loved that show, even though it ended all weird. And FOREVER KNIGHT was another one I caught in syndication and enjoyed. I never really got into the KINDRED. Once Upon A Time was interesting to begin with, but like True Blood, it’s jumped the shark and I haven’t watched much this season. You should give BITTEN a try. I haven’t read Kelley Armstrong’s books it’s based on but I really like the emerging dynamics.

As for I, FRANKENSTEIN. Holy Hotness, YES! Looking forward to this one. Of course, the Monster is the hero in Mary Shelley’s book. It was Dr. Frankenstein and humans who were the monsters. 😉

• Michelle says:

I’ll have to see if “Bitten’s” on Hulu. It sounds interesting.

And, FINALLY a movie that actually follows Mary Shelley’s vibe! “Frankenstein” was a cautionary tale, wrapped in a “monster” book.

I think you’ll like Bitten. It’s much more about inter-pack politics, wolf/human politics, and the fact that there’s only one female werewolf. In the whole world. LOL It should be on Hulu. If not, I know you can watch full episodes on the SyFy channel site.

I’m really hoping that “I Frankenstein” doesn’t disappoint!

4. *I hang my head* my TV is my DVD movie watcher only, I don’t have cable, I have internet instead, thou I know I could watch things there, I know how the distraction would do me.
    I agree your books, thou finding actors that would do justice might be hard 😉
    where are you going to find a Sean, much less Hannah lol
    BDB would be interesting, but same with finding larger then life actors.
    And much gets lost from book to screen.
    I was reading paranormal before it was cool*insert barbara mandrell country music* lol
    Wolves will always have a place in my heart over Vamps!!!
    Have a greatTuesday!!!

Nothing wrong with internet versus cable, Kimber! And yes, you can catch most shows either on the network sites or through Hulu. And you can often rent DVDs of TV seasons. Like you, I was reading (and writing) paranormal when it was still fringe. 😆

I read so much, there are times I have to watch TV to give my eyes a rest. No, seriously! Crazy as it sounds, it’s true. 😀

While I’d love the BDB to be made into a tv series, i don’t even think even HBO or Starz could make it happen the right way. I’m still hoping one day the In Death books make it to tv or the big screen. Beckett from Castle is the perfect Eve Dallas! Not sure there is anyone on earth to play Roarke, but would love to be in on the casting. 😉

I agree re: Stana Katic for Eve! And yeah, trying to find someone to play Roarke is just…HARD! Of the current crop, Tom Mison (Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow) is a maybe. Take his hair black, he has the facial structure and blue eyes, and I bet he can shift to a bit of an Irish burr… But he’s just not quite right. And yeah, I want to be sitting on that casting couch too! 😉

Coming back to inform you all, if you don’t already know, that Diana Gabledon’s Outlander is being filmed for a TV Series – http://www.starz.com/originals/outlander So excited 🙂

Yes! I knew but forgot to mention it. There’s been a big kerfluffle over who should play Jamie. It’s been mild compared to what will happen if the In Death books ever go “video.” 😆