Wednesday Words – Cowgirls

I’ve been reading like crazy but nothing I marked to make note of so…you’re stuck with me talking about COWGIRLS DON’T CRY. As I’ve mentioned, COWGIRLS will be a January 2015 Harlequin Desire release. That means work has started on blurbs, art fact sheet for the cover, etc. Holey moley! The fact sheet I filled out was incredibly detailed and took me three days. Mainly because I had to stop and thing about about the really important points of the story. I also got to “research” cover clinches. 😆 Do you know how many pictures of men hugging/kissing women there are on the various photo sites?!? I finally narrowed it down to four. No, I’m not going to share them because I don’t have rights to the photos. But trust me… 😉

Anyway, here’s the tagline I came up with: Cowgirls don’t cry, they get even.

And the blurb:

A family feud, a man in way over his head, and an old-fashioned cattle drive in modern-day Oklahoma teach a reluctant cowgirl that real cowgirls don’t cry, they get even.

Attorney Chance Barron is supposed to foreclose on the ranch Cassidy Morgan inherited not fall in love with her. His powerful father wants to grind what’s left of the Morgan family beneath his boot heel. Making friends under false pretenses, Chance walks a fine line between outlaw and hero. Too bad he can’t separate business and pleasure.

In love with the handsome cowboy who’s ridden to her rescue more than once, Cassie trusts Chance with her fragile heart and everything else she holds dear—until his betrayal. He’s not the man she thought he was—he’s a Barron and the Barrons are her enemies. Determined to get even, she’ll get her herd to market—and save the family ranch—come hell or Cyrus Barron’s interference.

Chance has one opportunity to prove himself to Cassie but even standing up to his family may not win back the cowgirl he loves.

I have no idea how long it will take them to get the cover done, nor if they’ll actually do like a photo shoot–how AWESOME would that be! Wouldn’t I love to be there!!!–but I’ll be sharing here.

In the meantime, I’m working on updating the website. Not too sure I’ll do a “big reveal” but y’all will notice little changes and tweaks from time to time.

Oh, and I signed the contract for FAERIE FAITH. More about it another time. 😉

So here’s today’s question. Readers, what element of a blurb makes you take a longer look at a book? Writers, taglines or blurbs–what’s the hardest for you to write?

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Wednesday Words – Cowgirls

1. elainecanham says:

Filling in the covert art fact sheet used to drive me nuts! I suppose I just hate filling in forms. But apparently they do (or certainly did) do a photo shoot (in Canada of all places), and then the artist just draws from the picture. I really hated the cover they did for one of my books, A Captive Heart, because the hero looked just like a bloke I knew that I didn’t like very much. Good luck with the book.

Elaine, there are so many choices on Harlequin’s drop-down menus that trying to figure out the most pertinent terms is an exercise in and of itself. 😆 The current Desire covers all look like photos and given the economy, I don’t know if they do photo shoots for the categories or if the art department uses stock photos. Either way, it’ll be an interesting process! Thanks for dropping by and thanks! 😀

Excellent tagline, Silver 🙂 And blurb – can’t wait for more details when they become available! As a reader, a blurb will usually get me to read (or not read) the book – it’s the first thing I read after I check out the cover (which doesn’t really convince me to read the book). As a writer, taglines and blurbs are very hard – difficult to narrow down a whole book into either a line or a couple of paragraphs. I guess with practice, one gets better!

Congrats on signing FAERIE FAITH!!

The tagline for this one was easy. It’s the rest of the stuff! Especially when I’m only allowed so many words/spaces. And see? Blurbs ARE important to some readers–especially readers unfamiliar with an author’s work. Hopefully, the marketing department, which has infinitely more experience than I do, will get it all sorted out. 🙂

3. Excellent! I can’t wait to read the book. Since I’ve never had to do one of those sheet thingies, I can’t commiserate, but I can sympathize. :hugs: Yay on signing the contract for FAERIE FAITH! Can’t wait to read that either. But I’ll be good and not be pesty about it.

Taglines, blurbs… Trying to encapsulate a 100K word novel into a sentence or a paragraph… Both are hell. Sometimes one is easier than the other and some books are just easier to sum up. in the end, though, they’re just necessary evils.

As a reader, I chose more by author name these days, then I glance at the tagline or the blurb to see if it’s something I feel like shelling out money for. Like yesterday, I stopped by the library’s book sale – picked up a Tess Gerritsen I hadn’t read yet, a 4-book volume of Mary Stewart’s work (cuz I’ve been meaning to read her), a Ken Follett, a Dick Francis, a Raymond Feist, and two nonfictions for my writing shelf. :shrug: Wow me with your work and I’ll be more likely to buy your next book (or hunt down your backlist). Which, of course, you’ve already done, Silver. ;o)

OOH! Which Mary Steward books? I devoured her when I was younger. And thanks for tracking down my backlist and reading my new releases, B.E. :blush: I have the best reader/friends in the world and count myself lucky to have y’all!

I’m so excited about COWGIRLS and FAERIE FAITH!!! You know my blog is totally available for cover reveals at any time. 😉

I don’t know what part of a blurb will actually catch my attention. If I’m looking at an auto-buy author (you) it doesn’t matter what the blurb says, I’m buying the book. If from an author I’ve not read, I check with other reader friends to see if anyone else has read the author’s books.