Reading Redux – Robb

I’ve been on a real reading binge lately. That should be a good thing considering the number of books on my Kindle Fire and stacked on my reading shelves. Yes, shelves. As in multiples!

Courtney Milan hit my inbox with her Brothers Sinister novel. I read one, grabbed the others that were available and now have to wait until this summer for the next one. I should know better than to do this because I always want instant gratification. **Note to self: Keep this in mind when producing your own series, d’uh! After finishing off what was available from Courtney, I finally turned my attention to J.D. Robb’s lates Eve Dallas book, CALCULATED IN DEATH. I buy each new one in both hardback (the ONLY hardbacks I buy for myself) and in digital. I read digitally by preference.

So anyway, I finished up CALCULATED on Sunday afternoon. It’s a good read. Well…but for the fact that there isn’t really any Roarke until about 25% of the way through the book. Oh well. He’s there in the background and when he makes his appearance…*swoon*. I finished the book and started scrolling through my shelves for my next read. Nothing jumped out at me. I got up and perused my paperback shelves, hoping something would fall off the stack. Amazingly, they all stayed in place–like they’d been glued or something. *sigh*

My inner reader knew what she wanted. She wanted more Robb. More Dallas and Roarke. What to do?!? Yeah. I downloaded the digital version of NAKED IN DEATH. I have two hardback versions and the paperback of this book. I still bought and downloaded it.

I ♥ this book like damn and whoah. It is my chicken soup book. It is the book I turn to when the world feels like it is crashing down around my head and I’m going to suffocate under the weight of it all. It is the book I read when nothing else will do. It’s the book I reach for when I want all my reading buttons pushed. This is the book (and series) that convinced me to get off my butt and start writing again. I wanted to be LaNora/JD when I grew up as a writer.

At it’s heart, this series is a love story dressed up with a futuristic world, homicide, and a cast of wonderful secondary characters. At the series’ heart is NAKED IN DEATH, and a grey cloth button. *deep feminine sigh*

So what is your chicken soup book? And have you read this series?

This entry was posted in Books, Writing Life and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Reading Redux – Robb

1. I read Naked in Death for the first time last year. It was pretty good, but I haven’t had the time to read any of the others. I used to have a few ‘chicken soup’ books. Since I started writing, though – and reading to keep up with new books – I don’t have time to open books I’ve already read. I used to read Atlas Shrugged once a year to recharge my batteries. I’d re-read Elfstones of Shannara when I needed something magical. The Mists of Avalon was another go-to, along with The Stand and The World According to Garp. And of course, there was my yearly read of Jane Eyre. I really need to dive into those books again.

If I was going to start a new list of ‘chicken soup’ books, Feed by Mira Grant (aka Seanan McGuire) would be at the top. =o)

B,E,, the series isn’t for everyone. The Nora/J.D. camps are almost rabid and are very vociferous in their love. There’s a little cross-over but most readers seem to prefer one over the other. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that I’m now on book three. I’ll end up with a complete reread of the series this year, though I’m going to insist that I read at least one new book in between so I whittle my piles down.

I really have to check out Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant. You mention her books often! Rereading well-loved books has a way of refreshing the soul when we need it. 🙂

Is it weird that my chicken soup books are both children’s books? I read WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE and HORSE OF TWO COLORS whenever I need a boost of reading penicillin.

I tend to read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD most years. And I revisit my favorite running book The Non-Runner’s Marathon Guide for Women before my yearly half-marathon.

I don’t think that’s weird at all, JB! The Only has a couple of childhood favorites like that. I zipped through the children’s section of the library so fast, I don’t think any of the books truly struck. Well…The Black Stallion (and series), Nancy Drew. I caught up on the “current” crop of books when Only was small. (She’s a Dr. Seuss fan.)

It’s so interesting to see what books make us “tick,” isn’t it?

Confession – don’t stone me – I don’t re-read! Honestly, I don’t! And, this will really get the rocks launched in my general direction, I don’t read Nora Roberts! I know – I’m un-friended by all of you now. Sorry 😦

JB – I ordered The Non-Runner’s Marathon Guide for Women, it should be here today or tomorrow. Hoping it kick starts my desire for long distance running again.

Ouch! Hey, who threw that?

This is a rock-free zone, Janet. 😉

Confession–I don’t read Nora Roberts, either. I’ve tried I don’t know how many times but I just can’t get into her “Nora” books. The In Death series, though? It really is like a totally different person wrote the books. I don’t know how to explain it.

That said, I normally don’t reread either, unless it’s been too long between books in a series and then I’ll go back and skim the previous book just to refresh my memory. I normally don’t rewatch movies, either. But yeah…the In Death books just… They just *do*.

Naked in Death is my chicken soup book too. I read it at least once a year and then want to reread the entire series. Haven’t done that in a while, if I had a week to do nothing it would be at the top of my list.

It’s funny. Sometimes I can finish the latest book and then move right on to something else. Sometimes, I just have to get my fix. I’ll end up rereading the whole series this time, I’m sure, since I’m now about 1/2 way through IMMORTAL. But I’m going to make myself read another book on the carousel before reading the next.

5. ev says:

What happened to my post from yesterday????