TGOF (Trip Goodness On Friday)

Hotel courtyard 680Okay. Yes, the title is stretching it a bit. Give me a break. I’m still wobble-headed from sinus meds!

We stayed at the Chateau Lemoyne, which is a Holiday Inn housed in a historic building in the French Quarter. The picture is the view we had out our floor-to-ceiling French door windows. No balcony, but we could open the doors and look out over the interior courtyard. The balcony and dormer directly across from us is one of the historic suites in the hotel. It’s a lovely place to stay and even has a saltwater swimming pool. It was a bit chilly so none of us took a dip. We’ll definitely stay at this hotel again. Two of my favorite restaurants are each a block away, and it’s an easy two and a half block walk to catch the Canal Street streetcar. For $3.00, you can get an all-day pass for as many transfers and trips as you can fit in.

Why New Orleans? Because ROGUE MOON is set in and around NOLA. I wanted to remember the vibes exactly. I first went to New Orleans almost 30 years ago. And I wanted to set a book there. I eventually wrote the first book in the Delta Ghost series, SHADOW DANCE. I have the second book, WALTZING MATILDA, in first draft. The third book, TWO TO TANGO, is plotted. Mostly. I’ll get back to them this year. Additionally, the prequel novella for the Penumbra Papers is set in New Orleans.

Again, why New Orleans? The place is amazing and ever since my first trip, I’ve felt a real affinity for the area. Don’t know why. Could I live there? Maybe. Do I want to? I’m not sure. I’m obviously not the only writer who has found inspiration in NOLA. Faulkner. Hemingway. Capote. Tennessee Williams. Anne Rice. John Grisham. And others. They’ve all found inspiration in New Orleans. Some have lived there, some have only visited.

There’s a saying about the Cafe du Monde, the famous coffee and beignets spot on Jackson Square: If you sit there long enough, the whole world will pass by. I’ve found that to be fairly accurate. Watching people there is fascinating. And inspiring.

I’m ready to write now. The problem is all the different ideas swirling around in my head. I need to sift them out, get them cubby-holed in the proper place and then jump in. That’s what I’ll be doing this weekend. What about the rest of you? Anything fun on your schedule?

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to TGOF (Trip Goodness On Friday)

Wow – I’ve never really wanted to go to New Orleans (yeah, I know), but after your travel-logue, I do! So glad you had a good time and got the essence of NOLA running through your blood – renewed and ready to write!!!

Not much on for the weekend – snow coming tonight, so I’ll get my long run in this morning. Good luck with the sifting and slotting this weekend, Silver πŸ™‚

There’s just something about NOLA, Janet. I believe everyone should go once, like a bucket list, just to say they’ve been there. Are are times you want to avoid — Mardi Gras, Labor Day Weekend, Jazz Fest. Way too many people. I’ll be writing more, especially after I get the photos from Only. πŸ˜€

2. I went to NOLA once back in 1992. Spring break my last year of college. We got there a day after Mardi Gras, so the whole French Quarter was trashed. I guess that kinda jaded my view of what is probably a beautiful city. I do love reading about it, though – since everyone who writes about it paints it in such interesting pictures. =o)

Ah, idea storm. Tough to sort them all out when they’re blowing all around you. Good luck. I’ll be cleaning and settling in this weekend, waiting for my furniture to arrive. Maybe I’ll take some time to write now that most everything is done and I’ve found my notebook.

Ugh. Yeah. That’s not a good time to be there! We would have gone an off weekend but folks could only get off work for the weekend we went. The crowds were a little heavy but women’s sports crowds seem a little tamer, somehow.

I have my 5k training first thing in the morning. After that it is time to mega clean and do laundry. Hope to finish reading library book so I can move back to romance books. I always read Joanne Fluke’s mysteries, and just got her new one on Wed.

I have two library books, too. I’m using them to “clean my palate” between contest entries. πŸ˜† I managed to get the laundry done this week already. Yay. When is your 5k scheduled?

• Liza says:

May 4th. Then I’ll start training for another one to get ready for half marathon training that starts July6. Will have to walk/run 5 miles on treadmill at RWA.

Mmmmm, Cafe Du Monde…chickory, beignet……

Apparently you know a lot of runners. We’ve got a 6.5 mile run on tap and then I have to write, write, write. We’re going to watch Prometheus this wknd….not feeling too enthused since last week we watched Cowboys & Aliens and thought it was awful.

Absolutely! Of course, you wait in line forever. *sigh* But it was worth the wait. I prefer being around during the week when it’s more locals and fewer tourists. I buy cans of the Cafe du Monde coffee at the local Vietnamese grocery. That’s all we drink. I “steam” my milk in the microwave so I can have cafe au lait. The beignets I leave for NOLA only. πŸ˜†

I enjoyed Cowboys & Aliens because…hello, Daniel Craig. The story though? Yeah. Not so much. πŸ™„ Haven’t seen Prometheus. Let me know if you liked it.

Good luck with the run and the writing!

5. bookwyrm217 says:

I have never been to NOLA, but hope to someday. Just NOT during Madi Gras. Maybe Halloween. Hoping it won’t snow. Again. I really need to get some yard work done, I’m way behind. Otherwise I will be working in the house.

The time to go is when nothing is in town. There are always tourists but that sort of adds to things. We really didn’t have to wait in any of the restaurants we went to–besides Cafe du Monde. But there’s always a line there. πŸ˜€ Hope the snow stayed away! And hope you had a good weekend/