Lifesavers

It’s Tuesday. This in and of itself is hardly newsworthy. As of midnight last night, Google Reader no longer exists. This makes me a very sad camper. 😦 I loved Reader to keep track of the blogs/sites I follow. I’ve migrated to The Old Reader and while I like the features, it’s slower to “upload” new entries. That means my normal (the emphasis being on normal) morning rounds will be delayed. Not that I’m always johnny-on-the-spot but I normally make it places before noon.

Yesterday, being Monday, turned out to be typical, which is also not newsworthy. I gave up trying to write and resorted to paperwork. Today will be different. Today, I am going to write! So there. :p

In light of the Prescott, Arizona tragedy–19 firefighters killed when caught by a wild fire–I almost didn’t share this but in a way, it pays homage to what firefighters are all about. In this case, it’s CPR and saving lives. The link is courtesy of the Chattanooga Times Free Press, who made the video for the graduates of the 2013 CFD rookie class. Check it out. It might just save a life: Firefighters “Staying Alive”

And if you would, take a moment to offer healing thoughts to the families, friends, and co-workers of those lost in Arizona.

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Lifesavers

1. bookwyrm217 says:

Everytime I think about what happened, i get tears in my eyes. Being a fire fighter is one job I just can’t imagine doing. As much as I hate to say it, I think that they are even braver than cops. they never stop to think twice about trying to save a life or do their job.

I don’t know if they are braver but they definitely rush in when anyone else would hesitate. The more I learn about them, more I realize that we’ve lost 19 of the best and bravest!

• bookwyrm217 says:

I’ve got too many cops in the family. I can imagine it (which is why I didn’t do it) but I just can’t imagine running into a fire. I hate fire. It scares the living crap out of me.

I’m not afraid of fire, though I do admit that I’m afraid of being burned. When I was “active duty,” I told Lawyer Guy that if I was ever burned badly, to pull out the final directive.

• bookwyrm217 says:

My fear stems from when we lived in AZ, out in a small area in the desert and there was a fire like there is now. I can remember evacuating in the back of a station wagon, with the fire not to far behind.

Yeah. That leaves bad memories. I was in one where it topped out above us. We were digging holes and preparing the shelters when a bulldozer rumbled through to pick us up. That was my last forest fire.

The news from Arizona was very sad yesterday – my thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who gave their life to help save others.

And I know it’s Tuesday, but with yesterday being a holiday here, I have that Monday Morning Feeling!

3. It was a tragic loss and my heart goes out to their friends and families.

Google Reader may be gone, but my Dashboard still works, so I’m good. I really don’t want to have to switch over to anything else. Yeah, my mantra this year is ‘Embrace Change’, but let’s not be silly. ;o)

Today. Today we’re both going to write. I mean, after I hit the Walmart to pick up stuff and get my hair cut. (Maybe before, too.)

Yeah…I’m not good with change when it comes to my computer. I hate new programs and gadgets but have to adapt eventually. I’ve had Old Reader for a couple of months, running concurrently with Google Reader. I’ll adapt. And yes. We ARE going to write! Just as soon as I feed the wild critters, get more coffee, maybe run some errands, finish reading blogs and email, and… and….Oh, okay. I’m writing. *heaves big sigh* Happy now? 😉

And I want to see pics of the new haircut!