Wednesday Waffles

A post over on KILLER CHICKS last week got me to thinking about breakfast food–and the best breakfast I’ve ever eaten. It was tough because I grew up around amazing cooks. I remember Saturday breakfasts in the late fall at the neighbors’ house–quail and dove, homemade biscuits and cream gravy, homemade apple butter, and eggs. And weekend breakfasts at my parents’ house with homemade waffles, thick bacon, ham, sausage, and eggs fixed to order.

I’m going to talk about those waffles today. Because I’m going to be a grandmother. Holy cow! That’s a scary thought. I didn’t mess up The Only too bad. Right? But we didn’t have waffles for breakfast, we had them for dinner. They became comfort food. And part of the comfort was retelling the “legend” of the waffles. Bear with me while I repeat it.

There once was a woman in the small town where my mother grew up. She was renowned for her cooking but she was very stingy with her recipes. A favorite of all the kids–and their parents–was her waffles. If you were very lucky, you were invited to partake. But no matter who asked, or how nicely, the lady wouldn’t share. Many tried to copy the recipe, but nobody’s was ever “quite the same.”

One day, the lady became ill and then she passed away. Many local cooks bemoaned the fact that all her recipes passed with her. And then people started getting packages in the mail–books from the lady’s collection. And tucked inside each book was a handwritten note with a recipe. My mother received the waffle recipe with the caveat that she was not to share until her passing.

Well, that was all well and good, but Mom had a policy that if you cooked you didn’t have clean up. You can bet I learned to cook early! And that included reading the recipes in Mother’s massive recipe box. And that’s when we started having waffles for dinner. Because I didn’t cook breakfast. But dinner? Oh, yeah! To me, those waffles were a gift. They meant family and caring and left me feeling that no matter how bad or scary or uncertain things were, there was always waffles.

I want to share that feeling. Because I’m going to be a grandmother! Yikes! Big scary times ahead, along with love and family and hope for the future. So here. Go make waffles. Eat them. Enjoy them. And find the joy and peace and certainty in family and friends and love and the next generation.

Granny’s Homemade Waffles
2 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
1/4 t. salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
6 tablespoons butter

Separate eggs. Beat yolks to light yellow. Add other ingredients in listed order. Beat egg whites in separate bowl to light peaks. Fold into batter. Spoon onto preheated waffle iron. Cook to golden brown. Drown with more melted butter and syrup of your choice. Enjoy.

Happy Hump Day, my friends! And if you have any favorite food memories, share. 🙂

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Wednesday Waffles

Waffles total equal comfort food. It was a treat on Sunday morning when my dad would make homemade waffles. He would even heat the maple syrup on the stove. I gave my dad a new waffle iron to replace his old one that died. Think ill get him to make waffles when I go home next time.

There’s just something about homemade waffles that Leg-o and iHop can’t compete with. In fact, I think I’ll fix waffles this weekend when the cold front comes through! Yum!

2. Neat story, Silver. And how awesome is it that your mom got the waffle recipe. =o)

Most of my food memories have to do with Mom. She had five kids to feed (two of which were large boys), though, so nothing was too fancy or involved. She made huge vats of dinner – goulash, mac & cheese with tuna, stacks of grilled cheese or pancakes or french toast. Because of her, I can’t cook in small batches – which makes meals for two a tough chore. In the summer, Mom would make zucchini bread when one of our neighbors would give her those huge zucchinis you can’t use for anything else. Or her and Dad would pack us into the car to go blueberry picking and afterwards, she’d make pies. When I was really young, together my parents would can. Dad made the best jams while Mom made pickles that were to die for.

Heh, lots of food memories today. Thanks, Silver. =o)

Mom never could figure out why she got the waffles but I’m eternally grateful! Like my grandmother’s bread pudding recipe and the family yeast roll recipe, some things should be shared and enjoyed! So glad I sparked some good memories for you! 😀

What? You’re going to be a grandmother? Geez, I go away for a short holiday and Big News hits the stands!! Congratulations to The Only, Baseball Boy and you and Lawyer Guy – how wonderful for you all!!

Mmmm, now I want waffles. Funny how food is so tied to familiar memories! I was home visiting my mom and the first thing I asked for was her homemade mac and cheese. Best.Ever. And I can’t seem to get it to work!! It was as fabulous as I remembered 🙂

WELCOME HOME! We’ve missed you, Janet. So glad you had a good trip. 😀 And yeah, lots of things going on while you’ve been gone. 😆 Try this recipe. I promise you’ll love them. Light, crispy on the outside but soft on the inside, and oh-so-yummy!

4. Kimber-Michaela says:

Wow congrats on the new addition to the family!
    Damn I’m hungry for waffles now-lol

5. bookwyrm217 says:

I’d have to buy a waffle makers.
    I don’t share my pumpkin pie recipe either, although I have had lots of requests.

Buying a waffle maker is easier said than done! Mine’s ancient and steel and if it ever breaks I’ll cry. 😦 And you’re a stinker for not sharing. 😉

that is a great story ! thanks so much for sharing (it AND the recipe) I’ve never been a big breakfast eater but I loves me some dinner 😀