Thursday’s Thoughts – Imagining the Muse

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Today’s post is all about the Muse. And what s/he represents. Imagination. As you all know, my Muse is named Iffy. I picture her as a pouty child with very large scissors. Why is she a child? Because children’s imaginations are the stuff of legend. And sadly, because as we grow up, that’s often the part of us–the BEST part of us–left behind. Writers and other dreamers manage to hold onto our imaginations. We create Muses to personify it. For those of you participating in National Novel Writing Month, today is the 21st day. And today, you have permission to give your Muse the green light. Let them out to play. And to help you along, here are some of my favorite quotes for inspiration or to give you a nudge.

Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try! ~Dr. Seuss, American author

I can always count of Dr. Seuss. He is the thread that ties my childhood to The Only’s and who will lasso the Magic Bean into our web, too. His wit and wisdom transcends ages.

Live out of your imagination, not your history. ~Steven Covey, American businessman

This speaks to those who define things based upon the past. Put the past behind you. Look to today and tomorrow. Both are filled with possibilities if you just let your Muse fly.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. ~Carl Sagan, American astronomer, astrophysicist, cosmologist, author

This. As writers, we create worlds for our characters with the hopes of drawing our readers into those worlds. Imagination takes us there. Hard work keeps us there. But without Imagination to lead the way, we go nowhere.

Keep writing. Keep reading. Keep imagining!

This entry was posted in Writing Life and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Thursday’s Thoughts – Imagining the Muse

1. Erin J says:

I never thought of it like that. To characterise your muse makes it all the more realistic. Cool stuff!

Thanks for dropping by Erin! I have several friends in my writer’s circle who have personified their Muses. In some ways, it’s like carrying on a conversation with a character–which I do frequently. For me, at least, it’s way to keep the imagination front and center. And it gives me “someone” to blame. 😆

2. elainecanham says:

The trouble is that so many people think they have no imagination at all, when it’s there, waiting inside all of us. Thanks for the post.

Yes, Elaine! My mother insisted she didn’t understand me because I had too much imagination and she had none. But hers manifested in different ways. She baked desserts. I scribbled words on paper. Sometimes we just have to look, right? Thanks for dropping by, and you’re welcome. 🙂

Fabulous – and I definitely need to give Muse the green light!

Make sure you have plenty of chocolate and pictures of hot men for Iffy. 😉

5. Kimber-Michaela says:

My muse doesn’t have a name, I’m just happy to see her!
    I have this posted on my wall– there are so many peeps out there who will tell you that you can’t. What you’ve got to do is turn around and say “watch me”.
    And being creative is not a hobby it is a way of life.
    Yeah weekend is almost here, suppose to be alota lot cooler.

If the front that came through here makes it that far south, yeah, a BUNCH cooler! 😆 And maybe if you give your Muse a name, she’ll come when she’s called. 😉 Keep writing, Kimber!

6. This was an awesome post, Silver. Thank you again for making sure I could see it via FB. :hugs:

WELCOME BACK! Pbthhhhth on your internet, but yay for the tech that actually cared enough to get it fixed! If you got her name, you should drop a note to the company letting them know. *nods*